Friday, November 10, 2006

Still Kicking

Because of a few emails and comments asking whether or not I was dead by hunger strike while protesting our lack of Cat 5 or even Cat 3 levee protection in New Orleans, I've decided to go ahead and post explaining the closing of the blog...

I understand I ended the blog pretty abruptly - in fact, I actually had no intention of doing so. But after the anniversary, I decided to take a short break, but then one week turned to two and so on.

I certainly have not stopped writing about the event though. My book, Chefs in Exile, is still progressing and I have magazine articles published fairly regularly - my latest will be in Irish American Heritage Magazine and Sailing World.

I am actively fundraising for the New Basin Lighthouse and am working PR for Ryan Finn Ocean Racing. Also, interestingly my experiences during Katrina and the aftermath are currently being studied by school children in over 17 countries through the One World Youth Project, which is a serious honor. My blog also actually made it into Wikipedia -- which is pretty cool.

I'm heavily ensconced in the Road Home Plan with the Louisiana Recovery Authority and I thought about restarting the blog with that whole process... but trust me it ain't exactly action packed... lots of waiting and patience.

My Lakeview neighborhood is slowly on the road back. One of the more surreal developments is the amount of homes that are falling under the axe. I can now sit on the front porch and see a few blocks away... quite odd.

My FEMA trailer is fine, though the toilet is broken... however fear not - the one in the house still works.

Cheers and thanks everyone.

14 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Troy,
I will really miss your blog. I wish you well in all of your endeavours (Canadian spelling) and look forward to reading your book and other writings.
Best wishes always.
Michele

2:36 PM, November 10, 2006  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Dang, Troy, we hardly knew ye! You don't really have to "close" it. It's not hurting anyone just sitting here. I think there's some value in leaving it up so folks might wander by and read #1-#16 (like I did on 8/29/06). Anyway, think about it. Peace, darlin'.

3:24 PM, November 10, 2006  
Blogger SantaBarbarian said...

I hope that you will "come back" to blogging.

I am delighted to hear that you are, in fact, alive and kicking!

1:04 AM, November 11, 2006  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm sad to hear that you will no longer be blogging. Yours was one of the first NOLA blogs I came across in the days following katrina that kept me upated on what was happening in NOLA. You introducted me to the renew nola bracelet which I have not taken off since the day it arrived. Good luck in all your endeavors...I am really looking forward to reading your book!

7:19 AM, November 11, 2006  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Great news! Especially about the progress with your book. Thx for this update, Troy! And pls drop a link here if one of your stories or a review of your book is online.

Laissez les bons temps roullez!

8:12 AM, November 13, 2006  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

What message are we sending? is NOLA open for business or not?

7:19 PM, November 15, 2006  
Blogger mominem said...

Boring or knot I hope you will keep us updated on your progress in all areas. I check back here relatively frequently and missed your perspective.

I hope the Yat Club is fully back up and running, not withstanding the channel obstructions.

12:11 AM, November 17, 2006  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Troy, been reading since the 2nd day. In the days and months following Katrina, I checked on you daily. Im glad to know you are doing well, and that you have such a large group of fans ; ).
Looking foward to the book.


Jenny Gauthier

11:32 PM, November 25, 2006  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Troy, I was shocked and so sorry to read you'd closed this blog. I don't know you (though I love NOLA), but I read GulfSails avidly for over a year-you were my #1 top blog to read during that whole frightful time, and thereafter.

Consider periodic updates, instead of shutting down GulfSails entirely-you don't have to post often, it's just that your writing, insights, and action are unique reading to the rest of the country who've followed you for over a year now.

Best wishes from up here in (now thanksfully more Democratic) Washington DC.

Cheers,

Merry

8:39 PM, November 29, 2006  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Happy New Year, Troy.

2:34 PM, December 29, 2006  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Troy,

Whazzzzuuuupppp?

Dave@noyc.org

12:00 AM, February 01, 2007  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Mardi Gras is at the doorstep again! How are you doing, Troy? A short update would be great!

7:54 AM, February 11, 2007  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I saw your article (2-13-2007)in the Gambit Weekly re. Katrina's Marinas neglect... Why was hizhonor partying on a 53 ft. yacht when he should have been gutting houses in the 9th ward or Lakeview or somewhere???

11:10 PM, February 16, 2007  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Geek Dinner. Dangerblond's. 3/31. Consider yourself nagged. :) http://thinknola.com/wiki/Geek_Dinner_3

10:02 AM, March 14, 2007  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Enter your Email


Powered by FeedBlitz

Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivs 2.5 License.