Saturday, February 04, 2006

Into the Void

I discovered where the contractors hid the keys to my FEMA trailer, so last night I helped to repopulate Lakeview. Plus one.

Describing my first night out there I could easily use some stupid words like ghostly, bleak and dead, but it wouldn't - I mean really wouldn't do it justice.

Sitting there on the porch of my house sipping on a Abita Restoration, staring out upon the stone cold blackness of my once vibrant neighborhood, and knowing that I'm the only human within at least a five block radius - it's almost painfull to describe.

The only sounds come from the crack of wooden doors broken in by rescue crews slamming open and shut in the wind. It smells of mud and chainsawed pine. It feels of low voltage and must, the only items clean are the stars that five months ago you couldn't see in the sky. There are no cats prowling, no dogs barking. Random trash flies by in the wind. No one drives by, you don't smell what the neighbors are cooking, and someone's drape hangs outside a window. Three doors down in the lower quadrant of the X, there is a count of 2.

A count of 2.

Two people. I never met them, an older couple. Their dogs used to bark at me - I'm sure they're dead too.

So what do you do? I did what we're all doing. I drank another beer, put WWOZ on the radio and allowed myself to think that it's getting better. That we're getting nearer to home... to our old home.


Denial with a sip of cold beer and jazz... it tastes good.















_________

5 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Welcome to your temporary home.. may you be in you true homw soon enough.. I cant imagine how lonely it must be for those hwo stay.. be well. sweet dreams an keep up the good fight.. korin

1:17 PM, February 05, 2006  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

TAG,

which song are you referencing in the headline? "Into the Void" by Black Sabbath, KISS, or Nine Inch Nails? The lyrics to the latter could certainly describe what i imagine the mood of the city and its inhabitants:

"Nothing ever grows and the sun doesn't shine all day.
Tried to save myself but myself keeps slippin' away."

Trent Reznor was a longtime resident of NOLA you know.

Hang in there.

Stassi

4:54 PM, February 06, 2006  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I have your site on my bookmarks, & y'all in my heart. Tell us how to help. Peace, my friends...

Mel

11:38 PM, February 06, 2006  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

This is a greate post...I really feel your pain.

3:49 PM, February 08, 2006  
Blogger "" said...

My spouse and I were in NOLA in early May... our first time back since K.

Our nation has lost its heroic status in the eyes of the world over the past 5 or 6 years BUT one thing I KNOW is that New Orleanians are the real heroes of this country... without losing their sense of humor.

7:51 AM, June 07, 2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Enter your Email


Powered by FeedBlitz

Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivs 2.5 License.