Alright... mini-vacation over. Back to work.
This afternoon I'm making a run into Lakeview and Uptown. I will have photos from inside homes that have been resting under 14 feet of water. Stories are that many have collapsed in on themselves or shifted on their slabs or pilings.
A few last humorous asides and observations...
• I went into a grocery store yesterday for the first time since the event and nearly had a nervous breakdown. The people, the FOOD and the normality really got to me. I'm not exaggerating - I nearly had a massive anxiety attack in produce.
• Again relating a grocery store story, a few days back, friends of mine who rode out the storm Uptown finally made their way up to Baton Rouge. That evening they hit Whole Foods Market for groceries and were completely blown away. One of them was skipping up the aisles yelling "We're in the Emerald City! We're in the Emerald City!"
• The running joke for any cut or bruise is now, "It's the black mold."
• RITA... There is no way that Rita will come here. That would be God spitting in our face... More likely, watch out Texas. Ivan, Katrina - the only things left standing on the entire Gulf Coast are in Texas.
• Very rapidly I am developing my own FEMA horror story. I haven't even gotten that stipend they've been handing out. NOTHING.
More later today...