Wednesday, October 19, 2005

The Canyonlands, Utah

This photo on the left is a small piece of a much larger rock called Newspaper Rock. As the white men moved through to the west, a few began to carve their names and the dates above the Indian markings. I had half a mind to get drunk on tequila and carve my name and Katrina refugee into it -- but of course, I never would.

I have great stories from my time up in the Canyonlands... but now that I'm back here in New Orleans... they seem kind of gross.



I will have a post up either tonight or tomorrow explaining this and also describing the current situation down here... in the meantime, here are some photos from this part of my trip.





























Above: Myself and my old friend Chris Stewart, a New Orleans expatriate who left for college and has never returned. He now works as a technical climbing guide during the season.















Above: Chris' climbing partner Dana leads up a climb called Serrator - pretty serious route.




















Above: Chris about 60 feet in the air, resting his arms on a monster route called Layline or something.















Above: Chris walking up a route named Way Rambo.




















Above: Me on Way Rambo traversing the crux... just pleased that after not getting above sea level in 14 years that I wasn't simply passing out. By the way, those are 8.5 climbing shoes on 10.5 feet... smarts a little bit... a little bit.















Above: Dana and Chris working on a new mongo greeting all boozed up.















Above: Between us is South Six Shooter Tower... start out by driving down an arroyo for a few miles, hike up a butte, cross an alien marscape for a mile maybe, rocket up another few thousand feet into the thinner air, and then start technical climbing the tower to the top... This shot is about a third of the way up. It took us most of a day to get up there and then back down.

8 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Troy,
Glad you are home, coozan. Glad you had a good trip, looks and sounds like a good time. Take care and I am always thinking about you and the family. Hopefully I will see you at Xmas, i will be in for 15 days.

PJ "Caesar"

11:13 AM, October 20, 2005  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I take it you never made it to Nederland and Neo's. And you never got to see 'The Frozen Dead Guy'. That just breaks my heart.
Will you be participating Sunday in The Closing Regatta at SYC? I'm coming in for that and I think Cheri is coming with me. I'm looking forward to hearing more about your trip.

Kelsey

4:32 PM, October 20, 2005  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

WOW, I'm impressed! Some pretty serious climbing. Did you make it up Way Rambo? That's gotta be a 5.10 or higher...

7:04 AM, October 21, 2005  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Glad you're home Troy!
Hope you are well! Thanks for keeping up this blog!
All the best to you,
Michele

7:25 AM, October 21, 2005  
Blogger TAG said...

Hey Hoz... Way Rambo is actually a 5.12... and hell no. Even when I was living in Colorado 14 years ago and went on a few climbing trips, the best I could do was 5.10.

9:26 AM, October 21, 2005  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Chris is hottttt!!!! :P

2:22 PM, October 21, 2005  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

no Chris is my lover.

10:03 AM, November 03, 2005  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

haha yeah Chris is hot.. damn!

1:41 AM, November 22, 2005  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Enter your Email


Powered by FeedBlitz

Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivs 2.5 License.