Monday, August 29, 2005

Already Flooding

In the time since my last post, the street that runs perpendicular to the one that I'm on and which is about a good three to four feet lower than us has flooded. No water in any houses yet. None of those houses have ever flooded.

Luckily I didn't go to sleep because if I hadn't gone out to check the culverts, water was about to back up into the rear of my house. As it is now, the swimming pool is nearly full.

The New Orleans metro area has the world's greatest pumping system (fact). We can take one full inch of rain for the first hour... then only a half inch an hour after that. Luckily these heavy rains are, at this point, only coming through in bands which will give the pumps a chance to catch up.

Unfortunately, what no one has seemed to realize is that with the vast majority of people evacuated, the moms and pops will not be going outside to clear out the culverts.

I guess it's time for me to go find a rake and do my little part... for whatever that's worth over the long haul.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Enter your Email


Powered by FeedBlitz

Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivs 2.5 License.