Friday, September 09, 2005

A New Sortie Into The City... This Time For Pets

First of all, I'm pretty sure I have methane gas bubbling up in the swimming pool now - there's a ton of decaying matter in there.

This morning at around 8:00am, I had one of the coolest experiences yet since the 'event' 12 days ago... When I was riding around and doing superficial checks on neighborhood homes throughout the area and posting them on the blog, one of the random people's homes that I checked started emailing me. It turns out that her parents lived out here and she was thrilled for even the little piece of news that I gave them about the house.

Next thing I know, today, her brother who happens to be a Livingston Parish SWAT team member arrives at my door in a three car caravan with supplies for me. We're talking gas, iced coffees, diet cokes, MRE's, water, ice, granola bars, and a handle of rum. How cool is that.

On a more serious note, tomorrow, another caravan made up of the Iberia Humane Society and other animal 'radicals' are showing up here to start rescuing pets throughout the city. They have had MUCH difficulty getting into the city and many pet rescue groups have been forced to stage and wait in Baton Rouge. Few, if any, are receiving clearance to enter. We will be traveling with three trucks, one towing a Boston Whaler, and a Jeep AND a New Orleans Animal Control Official. We may not need to blockade run. Tomorrow evening expect to see photos.

This house is becoming some sort of a staging ground. Very odd.

The status here in River Ridge has gotten much better. We still have no power, undrinkable tap water, cell coverage, though still a little spotty, is coming around. I've heard from many sources in the area including BellSouth workers that the fact that I have a landline phone is very unusual...

Security is no longer a major issue as we are under a mandatory curfew from 6:00pm to 6:00am and the streets are heavily patrolled by NYPD officers and soldiers in humvees. It is not perfect. I did hear a gunshot last night. I have also been told there are some minor occurances of looting being reported as one gets closer to Airline Hwy. and Hickory.

When I was in Lakeview yesterday and the day before, I have noticed the water dropping, albeit slowly. I'd say 3-4 inches a day. I've heard first-hand that the water Uptown is still on the river side of Freret St.

Sunday, I will go to the French Quarter for a first hand look there and in the Marigny. Again expect pictures from that expedition.

Photo Explanations:

(1) The Calvary this morning.

(2) Two NYPD Officers from Long Island

(3) Location of Sid-Mar's Seafood Restaurant. In the background is the new Coast Guard station in Bucktown. Behind that is a huge Government base, a marshalling yard for supplies, LZ for Chinooks and it's also where Dick Cheney landed yesterday.

(4) This is the former sites of Brunings, The Dock, and Jaegers. All completely gone.





























I'm having my first Rum and Diet Coke or a Skinny Pirate as it's called at NOYC since before theKatrina. Cheers and many thanks to The Holten Family. It's good. All the best to everyone.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I've been following your blog for over a week now. I'm amazed each time I visit, and heartened to see you aren't losing your sense of humor (or your sanity). I have friends in Thibodaux, Houma, and LaFayette, and I'm just now learning tons about NO through your blog. I just wish I had gotten to know more about NO before this mess :(. God Bless and I look forward to hearing more from you.

8:13 PM, September 09, 2005  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

WooHoo!! Yea Rum!!
I just posted on previous blog, oops.
I'm going to sleep now,
Trucks are loaded.
See you tomorrow.

Thanks to everybody!! We appreciate it.

10:19 PM, September 09, 2005  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Enter your Email


Powered by FeedBlitz

Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivs 2.5 License.