Friday, September 23, 2005

Twin Rants

As I'm writing this, the first major band from Rita is inching its way towards myself and New Orleans, and it has got to be the tension in the air - but I am an angry man today. It kills me to write a post focusing on some dark things and actions when we have so many Americans and their property who are lined up like so many bowling pins in front of Katrina's twin. There is nothing that will be lovely about Rita, but in the hurricane's aftermath, which was for New Orleans the true storm, there will be hundreds of thousands of acts of kindness and generosity which will never be known to the general public... but the dregs, the muck of peoples selfishness whether it be by looting, or greed or something as simple as not thanking a kind gesture is what will get the airplay and be known to the world.

This is why I am loathe to go into this, but it has to be stated.

As I mentioned a few posts earlier, disaster does not bring out the best in people, but it does bring out what was always there and amplifies it... This is what's making my skin crawl this morning. The negative traits which are and have been amplified. My morale is low.

I am disgusted at a good friend whose house I checked on in the first week and told him that it was fine, that he was (and is) incredibly lucky. Some minor shingle damage, a broken gutter, no water in it - that's damn lucky. But this good friend has the GALL to be upset with me after he went to check his house and screamed like a little girl that he had a tree on the shed, and there was a big scratch on the exterior wall, and the inside stunk because of the rotting refridgerator! You little piece of smarmy, selfish, alarmist, elitist trash. It makes me want to drag you by the collar and rub your little nose in 60% of the city of New Orleans including my sister's house. You make me sick.

I am disgusted at the professional real estate manager, Dalton Truax of Wagner Truax Realty, who has been inassesible to his clients throughout this event, people he has been milking for years, who when was finally tracked down by one of the individuals who's condo building he manages - a condo which is uninhabitable - he damanded two months of condo fees from her. Dalton Truax - rot in hell.

I am disgusted at the main stream media for portraying in the first hours of Houston' evacuation that Texas is so much more capable and organized than the state of Louisiana's was... why does the media perceive this? Because their Governor is a man? Because their people are all wearing suits? Because they are spinning it better? Give me a break. A Gulf Coast city, the fourth largest in the country, had NO evacuation plan. They learned from us about Contraflow, and didn't even have a plan to implement it. Anyway - this is for Texans to flesh out... not for me, except when it is used to brow beat my state. To all Texans - who have been so incredibly generous to your neighbors, I say again that we are with you here in Louisiana and will do whatever we can to help in your time of need.

I'm pretty darn sure that I don't have to go into it again as to why I'm disgusted at Andrei Codrescu, PETA, National Humane Societies, FEMA, beaureaucrats in general and the Red Cross.

There is also another situation which is riling me up - which I can not go into at this point... but trust me, this bozo is the wangdoodle of idiocy and stress creation.

What the heck is a wangdoodle?

The rain has actually slackened and, jeez, ranting does bring down the blood pressure.

So here's my challenge for the nation... We must put all of the resources of this great nation into tracking down this one person who was living in New Orleans that God wanted to get rid of so badly that after he/she escaped from Katrina and obviously evacuated to Houston, that God sent Rita to get 'em. We must track 'em down and sacrifice this unholy soul to spare us from further wrath. We must do this. Bush -- put Rove in charge of this.

13 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

You continue to be a voice of reason and assurance throughout this. You are passionate, poignant; you don't mince words and you have a way of telling everyone exactly what they NEED to be told, not what they WANT to be told.

Hold steady.

12:35 PM, September 23, 2005  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thanks for continuing to post. It's good to vent and not have a stroke! Besides, we are good listeners! Hang in there! I am a faithful reader since finding your site. Watching the news, I see the water is flowing back into NO now and from what I can tell from the hurricane pictures it looks like NO will get lots of rain from this.
My thoughts are with everyone.

12:37 PM, September 23, 2005  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

12:39 PM, September 23, 2005  
Blogger Susi said...

You vent all you want! You've paid you dues and generously paid some for others. Out here in the drier world we wish we could take some burden from you, but you show us, again and again, how a real man stands tall. Thank you. You inspire us!!

Fri @ 2Pm: Industrial levee has broken again, Levees are being topped, not sure where. They are reporting 5 feet of water. Rita is now Cat 3 winds, but Cat 4-5 surge. Looks like rain and surge will be the main problems. Reports are that the surge will flood all the way over to Biloxi. If you wish I'll try to keep you up on the reports, or you can check my Blog.

1:17 PM, September 23, 2005  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Click my name for a picture of a wangdoodle (I hope this works)

1:32 PM, September 23, 2005  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Well, you're last comment about the person who escaped Katrina and now Rita is after him/her/them is a nice touch of humor/anger. I loved you comment.

Please be careful and I hope I get to read more of your entries after Rita.

You've been a great source of information. thanks,

shambalayogi

1:36 PM, September 23, 2005  
Blogger bichonpawz said...

Hey GulfSails....you are an inspiration to mankind! Please try to stay safe the best you can. You are keeping so many people informed and we all thank you for that! BE CAREFUL and know that there are alot of people out here religiously reading your posts and praying right along with you. Take care now and thanks again for your enlightening, truthful, and very powerful words.

1:44 PM, September 23, 2005  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Troy, you beautiful man.

Honey, we're here to hold you in our blogging arms when you need to talk. You certiantly have the "where for all" to master all the daily indignaties of the past month. But the constant grind will wear anybody down.

My best thoughts, hopes, and courage are with you.

Lois Ginter
Madison, WI

9:08 PM, September 23, 2005  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Rant away! You've been admirably upbeat in the face of the destruction of your city...

As for the reports on evacuation and preparation in Texas, I have been very sensitive to some of the tone, and every time I hear any note of smugness (as in, look at us, we know how to do this right), it makes me really mad. Fortunately, most of the media I have seen focuses on "lessons learned from Katrina", and I see that the evacuation didn't really work very well. So people didn't evacuate "properly" for Katrina (according to some of the spin), and when they tried to obey the evacuation orders, they ended up stranded on highways. It's pretty obvious that the emergency preparedness just hasn't worked.

8:03 AM, September 24, 2005  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Perhaps someone pissed off this little girl named Emmeline (after all she's very 'goth-looking'
http://www.deviantart.com/view/21423447/

8:59 PM, September 24, 2005  
Blogger SantaBarbarian said...

Wonder if God has been trying to shake this person out of CA...we've been getting a number of temblors of late....

9:41 PM, September 24, 2005  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

hey TAG

were you talking about RSE?

this is GLS!

Let it all out, man.

gls

4:40 PM, September 25, 2005  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Maybe the smugness will begin to fade in my fine state of TX. It turns out that 107 deaths in Harris County (which is Houston), mainly during the evacuation, can be attributed to Rita. Many of the folks that died were vulnerable, but many should never have died (a 14 month old baby was the youngest) After 4 1/2 hours and only making 30 miles out of the city my wife and 5 month old son bailed and went to a relatives house in a northern suburb instead of Dallas. On the road out we quickly realized we were ON OUR OWN and I baked in my 10 year old car (wife and baby in seperate car) becuase I didn't want it to overheat. Nobody bothered to think of pre-positioning water, toilets, fuel for 2.5 million desperate people. Some in the local GOV here are even trying to blame people for evacuating that weren't in mandatory evacuation zones. Yet, they told us for 3 days how dangerous the storm was and how you needed to be ready to leave.

Keep up the great work Troy and there was a terrific commentary on NPR this morning from a teacher in New Orleans that summed up, in many similar ways, what you feel up you home town. I just hope to be able to finally vist some day soon.

12:23 AM, September 29, 2005  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Enter your Email


Powered by FeedBlitz

Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivs 2.5 License.